This month

Energy and power is my focus for this month.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kinky in the brick n’mortar

No, I really mean kinky, as in natural African, black natural hard ma-Shona type kinda kinky natural hair. And I live in a seriously busy city built out of brick n’mortar. It is extremely culturally diverse, however when it comes to the care of my kinky nature, not even the most high end black hair salon has a clue. And I am not talking about braiding and weaving, I am simply talking about the care of natural hair, just as it is.

The first time I went natural, I did it with my dear sister, Chok-lette. We had never ever had our hair short and natural. It was quite an end of an era for me, as my relaxed hair was so long, thick and beautiful. I kept myself natural for about a year until one day I impulsively had it chopped off and relaxed into a funky short hair style. Later I found out that the reason
might have been due to this minor detail.

Well, another year and a half later, I have watched and admired from a distance while Chok-lette’s hair has grown and flourished. It looks so good! And it’s long, and when she occasionally has it straightened, it looks relaxed and ever so healthy. I felt the urge to change again. Only this time I wanted to add a bit of spice. Check it out! It is now round 2 of being natural and this time, I really want to make an effort to nurture it, especially that I have coloured my hair, which is damaging to its natural moisture.

I have gotten a lot of inspiration from the various natural hair blogs and websites out there. My goodness, it is like a new way of living, talk about being organic, with the use of wholesome or vegan products. It is such a wonder that in this city, as diverse as it is, there are limited resources for looking after kinky hair, but I am learning so much about natural ingredients that can help to make the great natural remedies that suits one’s kinky nature.

The first 3 things I have set out to acquire are as follows:

Bentonite clay powder (montmorillonite)
Shea butter
Apple cider vinegar

Now the next product is not natural, but it has all the good ingredients like avocado oil, shea butter, jojoba oil and other fabulous stuff in it. I found it in my travels whilst looking for the Bentonite clay powder.

R n’B from Lush… it smells divine!!!!!!!!!!

Now all I am going to do is experiment and have a little bit of fun getting acquainted with my kinky nature. I will be sure to share my experiences.

3 comments:

  1. U might wanna take it easy on the ACV if your hair is colored. Because of its alkaline nature, it tends to strip the color off (which is acidic).
    I usually use the ACV 1:1 with water, its really good, closes the hair cuticle real nice therefore less frizz. Stings the eyes though, so keep ém shut!

    ps. Just went crazy today and bought avocado oil and virgin cocOnut oil for my hair.... I was actually looking for pure jojoba oil, but didnt find it.

    I did a very subtle block color with Lóreal Herba shine. Turned out alright, but i don't think it's obvious at all coz my husband hasn't said anything and its been almost 5days!!
    Or maybe he's punishing me for colouring my hair w/o consulting w him 1st :(

    Peace and Love,
    Afrodyte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello there Miranda! Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the comments. The ACV mission has been on pause as I have been looking for bentonite clay for the past 7 weeks, I actually ordered some at a shop and have been waiting for their call. I appreciate the feedback. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still waiting to hear abt the bentonite outcome....
    The 1 I've been using frm Body Shop has been
    doing wonders even tho it's mixed w other things.
    Can't wait to hear your review on the pure one..,

    any tips on how to melt Shea butter & KEEP IT MELTED??
    tends to freeze up once I put it bk in the cabinet, cz it's winter here

    ReplyDelete