This month

Energy and power is my focus for this month.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lush R & B Hair Moisturiser

Woohoo! I decided to give Lush R & B Hair Moisturiser a try. I actually discovered it in my quest for Bentonite clay. I walked into a Lush store (they smell amazing) and enquired about the clay. They did not have it, however a lot of their delicious looking mud and masks have other types of clay such as kaolin. I resisted the urge to buy their masks; they looked like tasty pudding and yoghurt. As I started to ask about their shea butter range and mentioned that I use it in my hair more than for my skin, the store lady mentioned R & B Hair Moisturiser had just been developed by one of Lush’s employees for afro hair. I looked at the ingredients and saw oat milk, avocado oil, jojoba, extra virgin coconut oil, essential oils and I went crazy. I had to have it and oh it smells divine!

So here we are. My hair had been in a wash n’go state for a couple of days. It felt set in its kinkiness, was dry and shrunken. It must have looked an inch long. I first dabbed a small amount of R & B all over my hair, and decided that in order to really work it in, I would
braid about 6 cornrows and sleep on it; working towards a braid out hairstyle the following morning. As I parted each section, I finger combed my hair gently, adding a bit more R & B. I felt immediately that my hair softened and really accepted this product. I felt moisture come back into it, probably the moisture from the shower I had in the morning (I like to wet my afro, even when I am not washing it). I then added pure shea butter to my hair and scalp then braided away. It did not have to be neat, seeing as it was simply an overnight thing. I then covered my head with a scarf and went off to bed. It must have taken me a good 15 to 20 minutes to do my hair. I am sure it will be quicker for anyone out there who has not got “over healthy” ends like me. They are so thick that even when I flat iron my hair at home, the ends do not get straight and are thick clumps. I am hoping that the extra love and care I am giving my hair will help tame the ends, perhaps giving them much needed moisture. I think what I did with braiding my hair after working in the product is called protective styling.

The next morning, I was awakened by a crying L’il Coco. I did not think twice, I went straight to her and immediately whipped out a boob to calm her down. Then I looked at the time! Eeeeeek! I had overslept by 30 minutes! I had to hurry up a little, so I undid my corn rows on my way to work. Not sure you needed all that detail, but if you are a busy person asking where I get the time to do this, well… this is how. As soon as I got to work, I went straight into the bathroom and pinned one side of my hair up. I am not sure if this style has a name, but it snazzes up my afro, gives it a little character, enough to be a groovy chick at work. My hair feels conditioned even though I applied R & B dry. Also, due to the braid out cornrows, my hair looked much longer, less shrinkage.



I am so glad I found Lush R & B Hair Moisturiser.

PS. email me for pics

2 comments:

  1. I reckon your hair posts are going to be a great help for me. I so need to start investing in good hair care for my girls. No.1 girl has similar hair to mine and in the past when it was longer and I'd do it in an afro style I just used what I use. But No.2 girl has her daddy's hair, tighter and coarser curls and it's quite an effort to comb and style. I need something different for her, so I'll be checking out some of these. And might test it out on myself too :) I've never used many specific afro hair products, just shampoo and conditioner and I'm done. But I reckon it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of extra somethin' in mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the hair post thumbs up! I tell you this hard hair can be troublesome. I discovered my hair is more manageable when wet, so I only comb when wet. I tried the R & B in L'il Coco's hair, dry, just a twinge for the ends, it was such a tiny amount and her hair felt softer. I really liked it as it was not oily like ordinary afro hairfoods that melt and give greasy necks. In fact it is good to stay away from that grease. Things like extra virgin olive oil massaged in just after a wash is a good place to start. And I can't live without conditioner. I have just learned that it is good enough to wash our hair with conditioner (co-wash)as it does not rip out natural oils like shampoos do. And kids hair? Plait, plait, plait and get that out of the way for a while.

    ReplyDelete